- ▪Electrode tip shape plays a crucial role in terms of the safety and efficacy of radiofrequency ablation.
- ▪The cylindrical tip has a more predictable behavior in a wide range of contact force values but seems to be more prone to steam pop generation.
- ▪Each catheter design needs different specific settings to achieve similar ablation efficiency while avoiding complications.
Electrode tip shape
Impact of catheter tip shape on safety
Impact of CF for each tip shape
|CF||Tip||D (mm)||W (mm)||DW (mm)||V (mm3)||Tmax (°C)|
Impact of blood flow and saline irrigation
|Electrode tip protocol|
|Spherical (40 W, 10g)||Cylindrical (35 W, 10g)|
|Blood flow (m/s)||HBF (0.5)||LBF (0.1)||HBF (0.5)||LBF (0.1)|
|Saline irrigation rate (mL/min)||30||17||30||17||30||17||30||17|
Tip shape and contact surface
Impact of CF
- Ikeda A.
- Nakagawa H.
- Lambert H.
- et al.
Impact of blood flow and catheter irrigation
- Theis C.
- Rostock T.
- Mollnau H.
- et al.
- Supplementary material
- Determinants of lesion size during radiofrequency catheter ablation: the role of electrode-tissue contact pressure and duration of energy delivery.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 1991; 2: 509-515
- Effects of open-irrigated radiofrequency ablation catheter design on lesion formation and complications: in vitro comparison of 6 different devices.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2013; 24: 1157-1162
- Lesion size and safety comparison between the novel flex tip on the FlexAbility ablation catheter and the solid tips on the ThermoCool and ThermoCool SF ablation catheters: flex tip comparative ablation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016; 27: 102-109
- Impact of power and contact force on index-guided radiofrequency lesions in an ex vivo porcine heart model.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2022; 63: 687-697
- Thermal ablation of biological tissues in disease treatment: a review of computational models and future directions.Electromagn Biol Med. 2020; 39: 49-88
- Computer modeling of radiofrequency cardiac ablation: 30 years of bioengineering research.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2022; 214106546
- Assessing the relationship of applied force and ablation duration on lesion size using a diamond tip catheter ablation system.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2021; 14e009541
- Systematic characterization of high-power short-duration ablation: insight from an advanced virtual model.Front Med Technol. 2021; 3747609
- A computational model of open-irrigated radiofrequency catheter ablation accounting for mechanical properties of the cardiac tissue.Int J Numer Method Biomed Eng. 2019; 35e3232
- Catheter contact area strongly correlates with lesion area in radiofrequency cardiac ablation: an ex-vivo porcine heart study.J Interv Card Electrophysiol Int J Arrhythm Pacing. 2022; 63: 561-572
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in pigs: quantitative pathologic features in 55 cases.Cardiovasc Pathol. 1994; 3: 261-268
- RF catheter ablation: lessons on lesions.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2006; 29: 1285-1297
- The relationship between surface temperature, tissue temperature, microbubble formation, and steam pops.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2009; 32: 833-841
- Relationship between catheter contact force and radiofrequency lesion size and incidence of steam pop in the beating canine heart: electrogram amplitude, impedance, and electrode temperature are poor predictors of electrode-tissue contact force and lesion size.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2014; 7: 1174-1180
- Real-time contact force measurement: a key parameter for controlling lesion creation with radiofrequency energy.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2015; 8: 713-721
- Is there a potential benefit to increased irrigation channels during radiofrequency ablation? Results from a two-center prospective randomized study.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2011; 22: 516-520
- Identification of radiofrequency ablation catheter parameters that may induce intracardiac steam pops: direct visualization of elicitation in reanimated swine hearts.J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2019; 12: 250-256
- Morphological and thermodynamic comparison of the lesions created by 4 open-irrigated catheters in 2 experimental models: thermodynamic evaluation of 4 open-irrigated catheters.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2014; 25: 1391-1399
- Impact of variable orientation and flow rates on radiofrequency ablation lesions created by externally irrigated catheters: an ex-vivo study.J Atr Fibrillation. 2020; 13: 2353
- Comparison of ablation index versus time-guided radiofrequency energy dosing using normal and half-normal saline irrigation in a porcine left ventricular model.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2022; 33: 698-712
- The incidence of audible steam pops is increased and unpredictable with the thermocool® surround flow catheter during left atrial catheter ablation: a prospective observational study: audible steam pops during left atrial catheter ablation.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2015; 26: 956-962
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy